I guess when you think of carrot juice you think of something that is a simple and healthy veggie juice with no additives. Well Jamaican carrot juice or carrot punch is NOT a low calorie food. In fact, this “juice” is more like dessert as it boasts rum, condensed milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and sometimes even Guinness stout as added ingredients.
It is a super simple recipe to make and I guess despite the added fat, sugar and alcohol, the carrots are pretty healthy for you. Luckily, this treat is not something we have everyday and is limited to mostly Sundays and special holidays. It is downright a creamy and delicious pairing to have with dinner or as an after-dinner treat.
Try the recipe of Jamaican Carrot Juice below:
- 2 large carrots (diced in 2 inch pieces)
- 4 cups of water for boiling + 1 cup for blended mix
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp nutmeg (grated)
- Dusting of cinnamon
- ½ can condensed milk (8 oz can)
- ½ cup Jamaican rum or ½ bottle Guinness stout
- Peel and cut carrots into 2 inch pieces. Boil carrots in 4 cups of water in a saucepan until fork tender.
- Once carrots are boiled cool for about 15 minutes. Transfer the carrots and the boiling liquid to a blender. Blend carrots and water and transfer to a large pitcher. It is very important that the carrots are allowed to cool for a few minutes. Hot liquid will expand in the blender and can cause severe burns.
- To the blended mixture, add 1 cup of water. You may add 2 cups of water if you want carrot juice with a more runny consistency.
- To flavor the drink, add rum, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and milk to the pitcher and stir well.
- You may chill the drink or serve immediately over ice.