Peanut and Oats porridge is a very delicious breakfast option. This is a hot cereal that Jamaicans love and make many versions of. Peanut and oats porridge is a popular street porridge sold by vendors in the streets of Jamaica. Raw peanuts are blended and cooked in a mixture of spices and condensed milk until it is thick, rich and creamy.
This porridge has to be made with raw peanuts. You can choose to use peanuts that are removed from their red papery skin or you can use those that are still in the skin. The skin is perfectly harmless. Peanuts are delightfully fatty and good for you. They create the silkyness this porridge is known for as well as the nutty flavor.
The best type of oats to use in this porridge is old fashioned oats. I wouldn’t use steel cut oats in this recipe because it has a longer cooking time than traditional oats. The oats can be kept whole or can be blended with the peanuts. The texture is smoother if the oats are blended.
Vegan or Nah?
This porridge can be completely vegan. You can use nut milks and sugar to sweeten instead of condensed milk. You can also use coconut condensed milk which is a delicious and popular substitute for dairy condensed milk.
You can have this with no toppings — just crackers, bread or fried dumplings as a side. I have found that topping my porridge is an easy way to add more flavor and texture but to also add more nutrients to the dish. To this porridge I added fresh strawberries, granola, hemp hearts, chia seeds and banana.
For Peanut and Oats Porridge you will need:
- Medium saucepan
- Wooden spoon
- 1 cup of raw peanuts
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- Coconut Granola
- Chia seeds
- Hemp hearts
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of coconut milk to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Blend peanuts, oats and 1 cup of water in a high speed blender.
- Once the milk is boiling, add blended mixture to hot milk and stir. Reduce heat.
- Allow peanut and oats to fully cook uncovered for about 15 mins on low heat.
- Once the mix is cooked and has thickened, add nutmeg, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, and condensed milk to sweeten.
- Wash the berries and add it with seeds to top the porridge. Serve hot and enjoy!
- You can reduce the amount of condensed milk since the fruit and granola are also sweet.