The air-fryer is a fairly new kitchen gadget that actually holds up to the promise of frying food completely without the need for a lot of oil. It’s perfect for making french fries, even pizza and desserts. I will be experimenting with air fryer a few times on the blog but firstly, I am sharing my version of a spicy chicken sandwich cooked completely in an air fryer and topped with delicious fried ripe plantains that were also cooked in the air-fryer. These yummy ingredients were tucked between a brioche bun with lettuce, tomatoes and a little mayo.
How to cook
Chicken thighs are the best when making chicken sandwiches because they are easy to marinate and are a lot juicier than chicken breasts. Boneless, skinless thighs are now an easy find in the grocery store so pick up a pack and keep it in the freezer until you are ready to make this dish. To get the thighs as flavorful as possible, they are marinated overnight and double battered in seasoned coating. The best part of this recipe is that it only takes 15 minutes to cook and leaves none of that lingering fried chicken smell typical of frying chicken in a cast iron pot. This juicy and spicy chicken did not compromise on flavor though the calories were slashed in half. Watch the video tutorial and give it a try!
For this Air-Fryer Spicy Chicken Sandwich recipe, you will need”
- Bowl with lid (for marinating)
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- 2 Medium bowls
- Air Fryer
- Green Seasoning:
- A handful of parsley
- 1 Serrano pepper
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 1 scallions
- ½ onion
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of green seasoning
- 1 tbsp of @spurtreespices scotch bonnet sauce
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Flour Coating:
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 cups of plain white flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup of oil (for frying)
- To a blender, add parsley, serrano, thyme, scallion, garlic and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Reserve 2 tbsp for marinade. Store the remainder in the refrigerator.
- In the same blender, combine green seasoning, water, scotch bonnet sauce, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, sugar and salt. Blend for about 30 seconds. Place chicken thighs in a bowl and add blender contents. Marinate chicken at least 1 hour but overnight is best.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, thyme, oregano, onion powder, white pepper, sugar and salt. Whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, add about 3 cups of very cold water. Be sure that the colander is smaller than the bowl.
- Dip one thigh in flour coating. Turn the thigh in flour to ensure that it is properly coated in flour and that there are no wet spots.
- Place the floured thigh into the colander. Submerge the colander into the bowl of water. Be sure to cover the thigh fully with water and quickly lift the colander from the water. Do not not soak the chicken. All it needs is a quick dip.
- Use tongs to remove the thigh from the colander and place back into the flour coating. Flour thigh a second time by scooping the flour and pressing it into the thigh. Place the fully coated thigh into the air-fryer drawer.
- Repeat this process for the next chicken thigh. Once both thighs are placed in the air fryer drawer, brush the tops liberally with oil.
- Cook chicken at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. Flip chicken, brush the other side and cook at the same temperature for an additional 5 minutes. If you want a deeper golden color, you may cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Assemble the sandwich with any additions you want. Feel free to add pickles, cheese, onions, lettuce, tomato, mayo, etc.
Music Credit: Music: Landras Dream
Musician: music by audionautix.com