In an effort to eat healthier, I’ve made some of my favorite things and subbed in some healthy alternatives. Give this Oven “Fried” Chicken and Quinoa “Rice” and Peas a try and tell me what you think!
- Ingredients: Chicken
- 1 5lb chicken, cut up; breasts removed and reserved
- 1 tbsp chicken seasoning
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 ½ cups seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup plain seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup olive oil or canola oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Ingredients: Quinoa
- 1 cup red kidney beans
- 5 cloves garlic
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 scallions, diced finely
- ½ small yellow onion, diced finely
- 5-7 thyme sprigs
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 maggi bouillon cube
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 whole green scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 cup quinoa
Steps for chicken:
- Cut up and clean chicken to yield 10 pieces with the breasts removed. You may use legs and thighs as well if this is easier. Pat dry and season chicken with chicken seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and paprika.
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prep a baking tray by spraying the surface with olive oil cooking spray. Set the tray aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk to create an egg wash and set aside. In another bowl add 1 ½ cups plain flour and set aside. In another medium bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, plain breadcrumbs and oil. Whisk together well until the breadcrumbs are fully coated in the oil. Your FEB station is now ready!
- Dip chicken into the plain flour first. Transfer the chicken to the egg wash and drain the excess before adding finally to the breadcrumb mixture. Be sure to fully coat all sides of the chicken into the breadcrumbs. Press the breadcrumbs into the skin to make sure it will stick and stay. Place each piece of chicken on the prepared baking tray. Give chicken a final spray with olive oil cooking spray. Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden and crispy.
Steps for Rice:
- Rinse kidney beans and place in 3 cups of water with garlic cloves in a medium pot. Cook over high heat until the beans rise to the top of the pot, about 10 minutes. Use an additional cup of cold water to “sink” the risen beans to the bottom of the pot that they may cook evenly. Beans should fully cook in about 35-40 minutes. Test the doneness by pressing the beans with a fork. You may need to add more water during the cooking of the beans. Watch them closely and add more water as needed. Add a cup of water at a time. You may cook the beans ahead of time or use already cooked canned beans.
- Once the beans are cooked, add coconut milk, scallions, thyme, onion, all spice, salt, scotch bonnet, bouillon and black pepper. Bring the milk to a boil over high heat.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, add rinsed quinoa and reduce to medium heat. Cook the quinoa until the water has completely evaporated from the pot. Reduce the heat to low heat and allow the quino to continue cooking until swollen and open. The seeds should be soft once cooked. Remove thyme sprigs and whole pepper and serve hot.