Ripe plantains are sweet and delicious. They get sweeter as the plantains get older and riper. In Jamaica we eat plantains just about with every meal after they are fried in shallow oil. Just as with bananas, plantains can be added to a quick bread recipe that when paired with chocolate chips, is simply delightful. This simple bread can be head as a dessert or as a morning treat. There aren’t that many ingredients needed to make it great. You probably have all of these ingredients already sitting in your pantry. The best plantains for Chocolate Chip Plantain Bread will feel softer to the touch and the skin will begin to turn black. You will need riper plantains because they are a lot easier to mash and incorporate in the bread.
For Chocolate Chip Plantain Bread you will need:
- Hand or Stand mixer
- Loaf pan (1.9 qt)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Medium mixing bowl
- Potato Masher
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 ripe plantains (mashed)
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour + 1 tbsp for dusting
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup uncooked oats
- 4 oz of Semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter and lightly dust with flour.
- Mash two very ripe plantains and set aside. You may use a fork to do this or you can use a potato masher.
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer on medium high speed (speed 4) until butter is pale and fluffy.
- Add milk and mix on low for about 1 minute.
- Add in sour cream and mashed plantains. Mix for about 1 minute until combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time and gently combine on low speed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, oats, cinnamon and ground nutmeg.
- With the mixer on low, add in dry ingredients to wet mixture in thirds. Allow the mixer to fully incorporate flour before adding the remaining amounts. Scrape down the side of the bowl after adding each dry ingredient amount to ensure all of the mixture is incorporated in well.
- Once the flour is incorporated and the batter is smooth, remove the bowl from the mixer and use a spatula to scrape deep into the bowl to make sure there is no dry flour in the bottom of the bowl.
- Dust your chocolate chips in a bit of flour so they will not sink to the bottom of your bread.
- Fold chocolate chips into your batter using your spatula. Do not over mix batter.
- Use the spatula to spoon and level mixture into the loaf pan
- Add more chocolate chips in one straight line down the center of the mixture.
- Bake bread for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove baked bread from the pan and let cool on a wire rack before slicing.
- Slice and serve when slightly warm or completely cooled.
Music Credit: ? by Jeff Kale